Today I'm sitting at home for the third day this month of NO SCHOOL due to frigid temperatures! What better time to blog about this tropical floral bomber jacket? This is the Rigel Bomber Jacket design from Papercut Patterns. I've had this multi / black floral print cotton sateen in my stash forever! Bought it b/c I loved the print and it is SO soft, but had no idea what to do with it! Should it be a dress? A skirt? A jacket? When I thought to use it for this bomber jacket, it was match made in fabric+pattern heaven :)



This was my first time working with a Papercut pattern and I am definitely sold! I love the packaging! The pattern is printed on very quality brown paper that has a slight grip on the underside so it stays put on the fabric better. I went ahead and took the time to make the instructions into the little "booklet" and it was definitely worth it! The booklet takes up just a tiny amount of space and lays flat so its easy to keep right next to you as you're sewing.



Here are the details:

Pattern: Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber Jacket

Size: XS

My Shape: Tall (6'), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: 

- MAIN: Multi Color / Black Floral Print - Cotton Sateen (w/ a bit of stretch) - Joann Fabrics
- Neck/Cuff/Hem - Black Ponte Roma Knit - Joann Fabrics

Size Alterations:

- Originally graded to a M at hip (hem band) but ended up taking it in on both sides back to about an XS
- Lengthened sleeves by about 3 inches - this is just perfect!!! Wouldn't want them any shorter!

Design Changes:

- Used ponte roma knit fabric instead of ribbing - not quite as stretchy but worked great!


Construction Notes:

- Sewn with normal (universal) needle and black thread
- Facing is finished on the edge with 1/4" double fold bias tape in Canary yellow - Love this finish! (You can see a flash of the yellow on the facing in the picture above)
- Really excellent construction methods - the inside is a bit messy looking (except the facing) so I might consider a lining for next time!
- Pockets are cut from black ponte roma knit fabric - very warm and soft :)
- Had a bit of trouble with facing laying flat around the neckline- tried a few things to help it, but it still isn't quite fixed. You can see where the floral print meets the neckband it is not laying flat - Any Suggestions???


The Verdict: Love the style of this jacket - fits pretty much perfectly without any adjustments or grading (besides the sleeve length). I have already worn it several times since finishing it! I think a solid version is in my near future - would really like to try the version with the geometric sleeve detail! This floral print makes me happy every time I see it and goes with a lot of my wardrobe, actually - great for livening up solids! And paired with stripes! And with a black mini and purple tights! But I digress - make yourself a floral bomber - you won't regret it! :)


PS> Apologies for the great variations in the coloring in the photos throughout the post - it would seem taking pics indoors in front of a green wall lends itself to great confusion for my camera!