Tunic is a weird word. Maybe I've just been looking at it too long, though. Is there another word that means "long top" or "very short dress"? I much prefer the french "tunique" - it sounds prettier! This tunique was made with the newest pattern from the independent pattern company Deer and Doe. I read all about the Plantain t-shirt at the beginning of January on their blog (which is now available in English!!!) and literally jumped out of bed to print it off!



It is a pdf pattern, only 20 pages long. Easy to tape together and cut out! The instructions are available in both French and English. The sewing portion was done in short windows of time over a couple days. It was very easy to put together, especially for someone who has made a knit t-shirt pattern before. If you haven't, this is great for a beginner too! Lots of tips on working with knit fabrics throughout, although I kind of skipped over reading all those as I wanted to get this top done! :) The fit it pretty amazing right out of the envelope! Or should I say printer? Lol



Here are the details:

Pattern: Deer and Doe Plantain T-Shirt - FREE pdf!

Size: 38

My Shape: Tall (6'), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: Reversible jersey / rayon knit - Same fabric as my Ivy Tee, but in orange instead of purple
*Reverse side is used for elbow patches :)

Size Alterations:

- Graded to a 42 at waist and 46 at hip
*Originally I assumed that since the pattern sketch looked like what I usually have to do to my top patterns anyway, that I wouldn't have to grade out on this one - mistake! It was too tight around the middle and rear on my first try! Thankfully I had enough fabric to re-cut!

Design Changes:

- Lengthened significantly to tunique so I can wear it with leggings and it covers the bum
- Raised the neckline ever so slightly
- Lengthened sleeves
*Originally I cut it WAY longer and it came down to my knees! This was also the version that was too tight, as mentioned above. I was able to move the bodice pieces down on the already cut out pieces and it gave me enough fabric to add the width back at the side seams and still have a longer length (but not too long ;)

Construction Notes:

- Sewn only with a sewing machine and ballpoint needle
- Eléonore's instructions are wonderful, and exactly as you would expect to construct a t-shirt. The neckline is finished with a band in the round and the sleeves are set in flat.
- Save fabric by cutting the back bodice NOT on the fold, instead parallel to the front bodice - be sure to add 5/8" on each center edge for your seam
- I had no problem sewing on the elbow patches! This knit is fairly stable though. If you have a flimsier knit, consider using a woven fabric for the patches, as Anna from paunnet suggested on her post! (And that striped t-shirt - I WANT!)


The Verdict: A GREAT free sewing pattern! Cannot wait to make it up again! So many options with fabrics for the garment and patches. Would love to figure out a cute way to add patch pockets! What would you make this up in??? Have you tried this pattern? If so, please link to it in the comments so I can check it out! :)