Say hello to my first ever hand-made leggings! These are the Virginia leggings pattern from the wonderful Megan Nielsen. They are actually the first Megan Nielsen pattern I have completed, which is insane as I have the Darling Ranges, Briar, and Tania all waiting in the queue! (I will say, I have a UFO Darling Ranges and a Briar that I wear as a sleep tee, but I don't count those). I am VERY impressed with this pattern and will be making her others ASAP!


After sporting these leggings at school last week, I decided to pull them out again for a family trip to the apple orchard! I paired them with a thrifted chambray tunic (repaired / replaced buttons with the vintage tan/gold ones), tan riding boots, a vintage red leather crossbody bag ($12!! real leather!!), and some of my favorite jewelry.  The colors in the floral print are perfect for fall: dark blue with red and gold yellow flowers, and a hint of green leaves.




Here are the details:

Pattern: Megan Neilsen Virginia Leggings (PDF)

Size: M at waist to XL at hips

My Shape: Tall (almost 6'0), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: Soft Floral Print Knit - Textile Discount Outlet - $1.95/yard!!!

Size Alterations:

- As mentioned above, I graded from a M at the waist to XL at the hips
- The length is GREAT! Still a tiny bit of scrunch at the ankle, which is fine b/c I prefer a straighter leg
- For next time, I will add a little more room at the back for my bodacious derriere ;)

Design Changes:

- None! The design is great! Love that the fabric wraps around each leg so there is no side seam!

Construction Notes:

- Used a zig zag stitch on Archibald for most of the construction
- Serged the inseam and waistband for more security
- In stitching through waistband and elastic, make sure it is spaced out evenly - my gathers are mostly in one spot instead of spread throughout.... whoops!



The hubs! AKA - apple bushel hauler :)
The Verdict:  super easy pattern, sews up very quickly, can't wait to make MORE in other colors/patterns/prints w/ slight fit adjustments for curves.

So have you made leggings, Virginia's or others?? What would you wear with floral leggings??? I'd love to hear your comments! :)