Here is my latest sewing creation - a fun swirly black and white polka dot dress, made with Simplicity 2444.

  

When I found this amazing fabric at Joann's, I immediately searched for ideas for a large polka dot print dress in black and white.  Here are two of my favorite inspirations: (links can be found on my pinterest board)


polka dot dress idea 3


love this!


From the Simplicity Project Runway pattern 2444, I just used the plain bodice and skirt, added pockets :) and fully lined the inside, since you could see through the white polka dots.  The fabric is from the silky section at Joann's - I'm not sure what kind it is, but it is amazing - very drapey, thick, and doesn't fray too terribly.  I used a non-static black lining fabric.



Basically I sewed the dress twice, once in polka dot, and once in black, sewing them together at the shoulders with this wonderful technique:  Clean Finish Bodice Lining Tutorial by TheSlapdashSewist

Bodice and belt!

Pocket!!!

Fully lined inside

This is my favorite thing I have made since I started sewing!  I styled it with a turquoise belt, based on the first inspiration picture :)